How to tie a tie
A tie is a very popular garment that usually goes accompanied by a shirt. It is very popular among executives and business world, and is used even at schools, where is used as part of the uniform. Ties evolved over the years until being the model we use today and according to history, its origins come from the Croatian soldier's cravat. Today there is a huge variety of ties, they are usually made of silk and you can find them in any color and model. Ties are very popular around the western civilization, you can be pretty sure that you are going to use them at least once soon or later, so it is very important to know how to tie a tie.
There are many types of tie knots, and here you are going to learn how to tie a tie using two of the most popular tie knots, check out the videos and read the explanations if you have any doubts.
Four in hand knot
This is a quite easy knot to do, it is really popular. Here you have the instructions and video:
- Step 1: Put the tie around your neck, the narrow end on your left side as seen on the video, and halfway down compared the wider end.
- Step 2: Cross both ends, the wider end goes to the front, and the narrower backwards.
- Step 3: While holding the intersection of the knot with one hand, use the other hand to pull the wider end from left to right behind the knot, and then in front of the knot from right to left until it ends pretty much in the same spot it was before beginning step 3.
- Step 4: Bring the wider end to the back once again and then to the front, make it go through the hole created by the step 3, pull it through the hole until it passes completely, the knot is done, so make adjustments to make it look good.
- Step 5: Finally grab the narrow end with one hand and the knot with the other, push the knot to your neck and pull the narrow end to the opposite direction at the same time, so the knot moves easily and keeps its shape.
- Step 6: Make final adjustments and done.
This is knot is a little harder than the four in hand, but follow this steps and video to make it right.
- Step 1: Put the tie around your neck, the narrow end on your left side as seen in the video, and halfway down compared the wider end.
- Step 2: Cross the wide end over the narrow.
- Step 3: Bring the wide end behind the loop and pass it to the front left.
- Step 4: Bring the wide end behind the loop again from left to right, and pass it through the loop, but this time inside out.
- Step 5: Bring the wide end from right to left by the front of the loop, and then back of the loop again.
- Step 6: Pass the wide end by the hole created by step five and pull it until the knot is good. Make adjustments.
- Step 7: Finally grab the narrow end with one hand and the knot with the other, push the knot to your neck and pull the narrow end to the opposite direction at the same time, so the knot moves easily and keeps its shape.
- Step 8: Make final adjustments.
Learning how to tie a tie is pretty easy, just follow the videos and instructions, if you want to learn more about other type of knots then take a look at the following videos.
Windsor knot or Shelby knot
Is an easy knot to do, it has 2 differences to the previous ones, on the second step, when you cross the ends, the narrow end ends at the front, and this knot cannot be untied as easy as the first two.
Half Windsor knot
This knot is quite different to the previous ones, check out how to tie it.