The purpose of the lunch interview is to assess how well you can handle yourself in social situations. This type of interview can take place away from the austere surroundings of a typical business office. You will probably be dining with your potential boss and co-workers; this interview is the most relaxed one. It allows job interviewer to appreciate the applicant's social skills. This kind of interview is also known as Mealtime interview. It is usually longer, as it covers the quantity of hours that it takes to order and eat a meal at a restaurant. You must not worry about this interview. Being asked to lunch or dinner is a very, very positive sign. The employer is willing to invest in at least an hour about you.
This interview is not as different as the other types. It also requires being prepared. You should be relaxed, the interviewer will not evaluate your table manners, but he/she will determinate if you are the person that the company needs. However, it doesn't mean that you don't have to take care of your manners. You must remember that this is a job interview and not a simple meal or dinner with a friend or relative.
Employers prefer a mealtime interview for the following reasons:
- To judge applicants on their manner and social skills.
- To find out additional information about candidates that employers may not legally be able to ask.
- To get to know applicants better.
- To compare applicants social behavior to that of other candidates.
Employers consider that sharing a meal is more interesting that a traditional office interview. Job applicants usually reveal their real personality faster and more effectively. A mealtime interview can be more relaxed and social, but interviewers are watching candidates with big eyes.
Lunch Interview Tips
The tips below will ensure to have a successful lunch interview. If you follow them, you will have any problem at interview.
- Never put your elbows on the table. It is rude.
- Avoid slurp noisily.
- You must not be rude to other customers or the staff.
- Don't drink alcohol.
- Don't speak with your mouth full of food.
- Never cough or sneeze on the food.
- Don't complain about the food.
- You must research about the restaurant where the interview will take place.
- It is advisable to order small or light meal.
- Avoid eating string-smelling food.
- Don't forget to pay attention to the interviewer.
- Clean your mouth and chin after eating.
- You should pay the meal; but if the interviewer wants to pay, you might do it.
- It is not advisable to order the most inexpensive or he most expensive dish on the menu.
- Don't smoke. Smoking is considered a bad sign by employer.
- Don't complain about anything.
- You always have to order something that is easy to eat.
- It is a good idea to order something similar that what recruiter orders.
Always be polite. This is the most important point at mealtime interview.